Outcome measures are how scientists decide whether a treatment works.
« Back to Glossary Index
- Aberrant Behavior Checklist in Fragile X SyndromeWith a $10,000 grant from FRAXA Research Foundation, Dr. Hessl at the University of California at Davis led a collaborative study to analyze the Aberrant Behavior Checklist (ABC) as an outcome measure for children and adults with Fragile X syndrome. Results published.
- Finding Fragile X Biomarkers – From Transcriptomics to Behavior in PatientsWith this $20,000 award from FRAXA Research Foundation, Dr. Vanderklish and collaborators at Scripps Research Institute, the University of Chile, and the FLENI Institute in Argentina are analyzing patterns in gene expression in blood cells of patients with Fragile X syndrome. They are using "transcriptomics" which can produce a time-sensitive signature of an individual person. This is the first time that all these different levels of study – from transcriptomics to behavior – have been done for individual patients with Fragile X.
- Results Reported: Using EEG Responses to Sound for Fragile X Drug DiscoveryJonathan Lovelace, a FRAXA funded Postdoc at UC Riverside, has made some exciting EEG findings over the past few years studying auditory hypersensitivity in mice and therapeutic drug treatments. A big obstacle in FXS research has been establishing reliable, unbiased, and translation relevant biomarkers that can be used to determine the effectiveness of therapies. One of the most important discoveries they have made is the striking similarity in EEG biomarkers between mice and humans.
- Overcoming the Placebo Effect in Fragile X Clinical TrialsIn a placebo-controlled clinical trial, some participants are given an experimental medication, while others are given a placebo. Participants do not know whether they are taking medicine or placebo. In theory, this can allow researchers to rule out the placebo effect by comparing outcomes among the two groups. But, per Wexler (2020) “having a strong placebo effect can obscure any real effect of the therapy being investigated”.
- Recruiting: Tetra Therapeutics Initiates Phase 2B/3 Clinical Studies in Fragile X SyndromeTetra Therapeutics has launched large scale clinical trials of their phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitor for males ages 12-45 with Fragile X syndrome. FRAXA Research Foundation's basic and translational research pointed the way to phosphodiesterase inhibitors to treat Fragile X.